<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, June 28, 2004

don't feel like working... 

well i *did* do some work over the weekend so i don't feel too bad. :)

so weekend recap: Thursday i noticed a worsening pain in my lower back (much like the piriformis/sciatica pain i had over IAP). It felt the same way--first like a really tight muscle, and then a sharp nerve pain that radiated outwards. It was on the right side...it was literally a pain in the ass. :) Anyways, i went to physical therapy again, and the guy did a deep tissue massage on it, which i think helped. Oh, and i started again on the NSAIDs, by just popping 4 ibuprofen's at every meal.

Friday morning i went to Olin College in Needham, to do some more light-emission experiments. This time I got to drive Civic Claire from Kresge (IMHO, she's better than the Focus Frieda that was there before). However all the driving was sooo stressful (both physically and psychologically) and the pain got worse when i got there. I was a bit early so i spend some time stretching in the parking lot (other folks must have thought i was insane). While i was in the lab, i didn't notice the pain as much, but when i got back (after going to wholefoods for a few groceries) i lay down in Ashdown and the pain got a lot worse. Michael came over and we took a taxi to MIT Urgent Care (3rd visit!). It took forever to get seen, but the lady was kind of helpful. She gave me some handouts on piriformis syndrome and ITBS (most of the stuff i already knew), an injection (to help the pain), and some prescriptions (Flexeril, muscle relaxant and Tylenol with codeine). I didn't feel much better with them (i felt drowsy as hell though) but i figured i should try to take them for a few days to let the muscles relax. That day we didn't get back till 4pm for lunch. Michael and I ended up watching "The Truman Show."

Saturday - in the morning, did some work (analysed all the data from first experiment in MATLAB). Watched "Tarzan" with Michael. I can't remember what else i did that day, i was soo tired and groggy.

Sunday - Still feeling groggy. It's difficult to hold a single thought in my mind. I do some internet searches on piriformis syndrome, and come across this interesting site: http://www.runningpain.com . It basically said that a lot of chronic pains endured by runners (sciatica, lowerback pain, hip/leg/feet pain) is a result of inner tension that has built up. Ok, so i bet you're thinking, that's a crock. I kind of thought that too, but after thinking about it for a bit, you realize it's not too crazy at all. I mean, if people get severe headaches and stomach ulcers due to stress, then it's totally insane to imagine that people can get leg pain from the same reason!

Anyway, the description also said that the pain tends to spread, which is true in my case. At first it was my legs, and then it was this piriformis/sciatica thing!! Also, coincidentally (or maybe not!) my stomach hasn't hurt for the past 6 weeks or so (maybe my mind decided to attack my knees instead of my intestines!).

Soo..i ordered this guy's book via Amazon, looking forward to reading it. I went of the medication yesterday (after breakfast on Sunday, no more pills except for vitamins and natural supplements) and am actually feeling better!! The ITB pain is still there, but the sciatic pain is 80% gone. :)

milestones: i was able to walk all the way from Fenway movie theather to Pad Thai restaurant (0.2 mi?) and then from restaurant to Ashdown (about 0.6 miles?) with very little pain. I was also able to sit through the entire movie ("Fahrenheit 9/11") without any sciatica pain. happy to be getting better!!

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Campaign 1 - Banner 6