<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, December 13, 2004

a great day 

today was a busy day. first, i ended up waking up around 6 am (due to the 3-hour time difference, of course). but the conference didn't start till 9am (and i knew the first hour would just be awards and other bs), so i wasn't in any rush. so after showering, i ended up watching "Collision Course" on HBO (it was basically like a bad '80s version of "Rush Hour," with Jay Leno as the American cop and Pat Morita as the Asian counterpart). The movie didn't look very appealing, but I only watched it because there was Japanese in it. :)

After that, I headed off for Dottie's Cafe for breakfast. I sat at the bar and watched the cooks prepare amazing looking blueberry pancakes and French toast. But since I could still feel the effects of yesterday's meal at the greasy spoon, I ordered oatmeal (which believe it or not, ended up costing me around $8). However, to their credit, they did provide brown sugar, strawberries, and cream along with it, which made all the difference in taste (plain oatmeal is just inedible, IMHO).

After breakfast, I ended up getting to the conference around 10:15, which was great since i only had wanted to hear the plenary talks and not the b.s.ing in the beginning. I caught the last two plenary talks, which were good (though it was hard to pay attention since i was sitting waaay in the back, and i wasn't tall enough to see over everyone's heads).

When those talks were done, I ended up going with Cait to Subway for lunch. We ended up getting these chicken spinach salads and eating them in Union Square. The weather was amazingly perfect..i didn't even need a jacket (it must have been around 65 degrees)! It was kind of odd, here's this sunny, warm weather... and there's a huge Christmas tree in the center of the square, surrounded by palm trees, and carolers wearing Santa hats (i'm thinking, this is December, right?). Although I've experienced it for 14 years, I had forgotten what Christmas in California is like. I used to think it was boring (there's no watching snowflakes fall, you can't make snowmen or snowangels), but now I have to agree that it *is* kind of nice not having to worry about getting frostbitten for 4 months out of the year. :)

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Campaign 1 - Banner 6