<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, February 10, 2006

homemade yogurt 

i am eating lunch now and i just have to say that i love the yogurt that i made (much tastier than other store-bought ones!) The yogurts sold in American supermarkets (Dannon, Yoplait, Colombo, etc) are waaay too sweet for me, plus they taste too artificial (the kinds in Japan were waay better, in my opinion, but unfortunately I can't have that here).

Anyway, I made the yogurt using Shaw's "Wild Harvest" organic plain soy milk, Yogourmet starter and my EuroCuisine yogurt maker. It is pretty simple to do once you get the hang of it. At first I was sort of worried that it wouldn't turn out well if I used soy milk (especially since commercial soy yogurt SUCKS, in my opinion) but it actually turned out a lot better! I think i'll keep using this from now on, rather than buying regular (cow's milk) yogurt in the store. Plus it'll save me a lot of money, because usually for a quart of yogurt i pay at least $3.29, whereas it will cost me about $1.60-$2.60 per quart if I make my own ($1-$2 for quart of soymilk, plus 60 cents for the starter). Since I usually consume about a quart of yogurt a week, thats a savings of $36-$88 a year! And as an added bonus, soymilk only has 90-100 calories, whereas whole milk yogurt (the only kind i'll eat, since the reduced fat/skim milk ones taste gross) are like 150-160 calories. woo! :)

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Campaign 1 - Banner 6